This course of pathology is designed with a focus on destructive or degenerative changes induced by pathogenic or non-pathogenic factors which lead to the malfunctioning of a cell, organ or system and how these changes are clinically manifested, diagnosed and treated. These concepts would be taught in the context of certain specified diseases.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. Describe processes leading to the structural and functional abnormalities seen in a disease
CLO: 2. Relate structural and functional abnormalities of a living system with histo-pathological and clinical manifestations of a disease.
CLO: 3. Relate basic mechanisms of disease with its diagnosis and management.
- SCOPE OF PATHOLOGY & CONCEPT OF DISEASES:
- DEFINITION AND TERMINOLOGY:
- Ischemia, Hypoxia, Necrosis, Infarction, Atrophy, Hypertrophy, Hyperplasia, Metaplasia, Aplasia, Anaplasia
- Acute and Chronic inflammation, Immunity, Allergy, Hyper Sensitivity.
- Ulcer (Peptic, Duodenal), Hypertension, Leukemia or Blood Cancer (Malignant Carcinoma, Sarcoma & Lymphomas), Diagnosis and treatment of Cancer in general, fate, survival and prognosis with tumors.