The purpose of this course is to introduce pharmacy students to the fundamentals of principle, practices and technologies involved in pharmaceutical product developmentand its exploration from laboratory to global market. The course demonstrate theinterrelationships between laboratory scaling of pharmaceutical products, pilot plantsand commercial level manufacturing of the various dosage forms. The course exploresthe basic processes of energy transfer, mixing, drying, comminution, evaporation andcompaction.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. To describe basic principles, theories, methods and industrial applications of energy transformation processes.
CLO: 2. To discuss manufacturing of pharmaceutical products including basic parameters for formulation, working of equipment and measures to solve problems encountered during manufacturing processes.
CLO: 3. To relate equipment and technology used in manufacturing process with specified dosage form, using logic behind them
- MASS TRANSFER:
- HEAT TRANSFER:
- Theories of drying, Drying of Solids, Classification of dryers, General Methods, Fluidized Bed systems, Pneumatic systems, Spray dryer, Freeze dying.
- Reasons for size reduction, Factors affecting size reduction, size analysis, Sieving, Energy Mills (Ball Mill, Endrumer, Edge Rumer, Disintegrant, Colloid Mill, Hammer Mill, Cutter Mill and Fluid Energy Mill etc).
- Fundamentals, Mechanisms, Mixing Equipment used in Liquid/Liquid, Liquid/Solid and Solid/Solid mixing.
- Theory, Filter Media, Filter aids, Filter selection and Equipment (Leaf filter, Filter press, Melta filters and Rotary filters).
- General principles of Evaporation, Evaporators and Evaporation under reduced pressure.
The solid-air Interface, Angle of Repose, Flow rates, Mass volume relationship, Density, Heckel Plots, Consolidation, Granulation, Friability, Compression (dry method, wet method, slugging), Physics of Tabletting, tabletting machines and other equipment required, problems involved in tabletting, tablet coating. Capsulation: Hard and soft gelatin capsules.