Hackathons are events that spark civic engagement, bring together software designers, developers, and community organizers to solve their communities’ needs, and show what’s possible using technology.
Event Date: 17th & 18 March 2023
Venue: Capital University of Science & Technology Islamabad.
The software engineering department at CUST is conducting the hackathon on Friday and Saturday, March 17-18, 2023. The main event in the CUST hackathon will be the “HealthOn” competition. “HealthOn” will focus on health-related issues in the modern world. “HealthOn” event will give participants the chance to design a system to address health-related issues using the newest tools and technologies, such as Python, machine learning, IoT, etc. Any IoT-based related hardware, such as microcontrollers, sensors, smartwatches, and smartphones, may be used by the participants.
- The resulting system needs to satisfy the following criteria, and the evaluation will be done based on the quality measure of those criteria.
- The scope of the problem for which the system has been designed. (Problem statement)
- How simple it is for the user to use and comprehend (HCI and UI)
- How effective is the designed system (in terms of accurate results)?
- How efficient is the designed system (in terms of processing time)?
- How novel is the design of the system?
- How code is managed (Git Hub, bit bucket)
- How clean and easy to understand the code is (comments)
Tools and Technologies
- The participants can use the following tools, technologies, and hardware:
- Any programming language and IDE, e.g., Python in Jupyter Notebook
- Any microcontroller, e.g., Arduino, Raspberry Pi, any smartwatch, or smart mobile
The competition will consist of one round.
The team will consist of one to three members.
The “HealthOn” event will be from any health-related field, as a few are mentioned below.
- Patient Health Monitoring (Heart Rate, SpO2, Blood pressure, etc.)
- Elder Care and Independence
- General Hygiene Monitoring
- First Responder Communication
The event activity is focused on designing and creative parts of the hackathon. Creative Presentation skills are one of the essential skill sets for students in institutions of higher learning. To help them improve their presentation skills, students are encouraged to use systematic methods to facilitate their presentations in the classroom. The main purpose of emphasizing presentation skills in higher education is to help develop professionalism in the learning environment. In this era of technological advancement, students can enhance their presentation skills using high-tech equipment, thus improving their ability to present information in a professional manner.
- The focus of the presentation
- Clarity and coherence of the content
- The thoroughness of the ideas presented and the analysis
- Clarity of the presentation
- Effective use of facts, statistics, and details
- Lack of grammatical and spelling errors
- Design of the slides
- Effective use of images
- Clarity of voice projection and appropriate volume
- Completion of the presentation within the allotted time frame
- Microsoft Office – PowerPoint
- Visio/Adobe Photoshop
- 1st Round: Easy Module – 40 Minutes
- Evaluation Time – 20 Minutes
- 2nd Round: Difficult Module- 30 Minutes
- The team would consist of one or two members at maximum
The Department of Software Engineering, CUST will host an open-to-all E-Gaming competition in conjunction with its Hackathon. The competition will be based on the next game:
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
- Tekken 3
- PUBG: Player Unknown Battleground
- There will be 16 Teams at the maximum that can register for this
- The “First come first serve” rule will be followed for the
- All the matches will be Knockouts.
- Each team must bring their own
- The entry fee for each team will be Rs.2500.
- There will be 16 matches in total.
- 8 – Round of 16 Matches
- 4 – Quarter Finals
- 2 – Semi-Finals
- Match for 3rd Position
- Final Match for 1st and 2nd Position
- Each team will consist of 4
- Entries can only be submitted via
- While submitting your entry via email make sure to mention these details:
- Name of Team
- Names of Team Members
- Entry Fee Details
The event activity is focused on designing and creative part of the hackathon. The logo designing module focuses on branding, business value and communication design. It will discover and honor outstanding branding practices and design strengths through a global call for entries and selection, and striving to promote communication and development in the domain of brand and design within students.
- Aesthetically Pleasing
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- 1st Round: Easy Module – 30 Minutes
- 2nd Round: Difficult Module- 50 Minutes
- The team would consist of one or two members at maximum.
On the occasion of Hackathon organized by Software engineering department CUST, Photography Competition which will be Open for All. The competition will be based on two categories:
The competition will include 4 topics mentioned below:
- Life (Food, Streetlife, Fashion)
- Portraits (People, Pets)
- Landscape (Travel, Nature)
- Product Photography
Share your creativity and avail yourself of the great opportunity of winning cash prizes for the top three (3) winners of the competition for both categories Winning prizes.
Winning criteria: 30% audience voting 70% jury.
The Objective behind organizing a Quiz competition is to evaluate the knowledge of the participants within academics as well as beyond academics and to make them familiar with the prospects of quizzes and the objectivity of the questions. The main purpose of the competition is to develop an interest in the subject areas of Software Engineering. The Quiz competition will be on all of the following areas relating to Software Engineering:
- Software Engineering
- Requirement engineering
- Software Quality Engineering
- Software Architecture and Design
- Operating System
The above subject list is Illustrative and it is not comprehensive hence other areas can be brought under the scope of Software Engineering.
Rules for Quiz Competition
1. Only Single participation is allowed.
2. There will be certain time span for each round.
3. If there is any tie up among the participants about score, it will be solved by taking another round.
There will be two rounds.
- Both rounds will be based on various areas related to Software Engineering.
- The first round will be based on Software engineering, Software Quality Engineering, Requirement engineering, Software Architecture, and Design in which 60 questions will be given to participants. The duration of this round will be 30 minutes.
- After the first round, quizzes will be evaluated and the results of the top 6/8 students will be notified on the notice board. The time duration of this activity will be 20 minutes.
- The second round will be based on all the software engineering subjects which are mentioned above. Along with these subjects, there will be a section on Analytical and Logical Reasoning. 40 questions will be displayed and the time duration for this round will be 40 minutes. Only those participants which are in the top 8 can take part in the second round.