This course is specially designed for techno managers as they lack generally managerial skills.The course gives them theoretical and practical insight as to basic management functions like planning,organizing,leading and controlling are performed efficiently while executing a managerial activity/event. The course ultimately polishes the oral and written presentation skills.by affording each student an opportunity doing it practically in the class.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. Demonstrate a foundational knowledge of management principles and functions
CLO: 2. Demonstrate and apply effectively the various management theories.
CLO: 3. Demonstrate the ability to recognize the need and adaptation to change, lead change while also understanding the interests, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses at both individual and group level.
• Introductory session • Understanding Course Content and instruction methodology • introduction to management.
• Chapter 1 • The Importance of Management in business, what is Management? Features of Management, Managerial Functions and Principles.
• Chapter 2 • The importance of people in an organization, Types of Managers, Managerial Roles and Skills.
• Chapter 3 Management Yesterday and Today, Scientific Management Theory, Administrative Management Theory, Quantitative Approach, Management Science Theory, System and Contingency Approach, Current Trends and Issues.
• Chapter 4 • Planning , Competitive advantage, SWOT analysis, Stakeholders, Factors inside and outside the organization, Strategy, Mission statements.
• Chapter 5. Chapter 5 Organizing and Change, Organizational Structure, Organizational Design, Need for change, Theories of change.
• Communication, Social networks and Interpersonal Skills – Emotional Intelligence , Understanding Communication, Verbal and non-verbal communication, Different Types of Communication, Interpersonal and Intrapersonal skills , Communication Barriers, Communication Channels, Developing Your Personal Communication Skills, An Introduction to the Lexicon of Social Networks, How Managers Can Use Social Networks to Create Value, Ethical Considerations with Social Network Analysis, Personal, Operational, and Strategic Networks, Mapping and Your Own Social Network.
• Leading – Part 1 – leading in organization ,Nature of Leadership, Leadership styles, Manger Versus Leaders, Leadership and building Trust.
• Leading – Part 2 – Theories of Leadership, The four core group theories, Trait theories, Behavioral theories, Contingency theories, Power and influence theories
• Leading – Part 3 – Motivation, Nature of Motivation, Motivation theories and concepts , Content theories of motivation, Process theories of motivation, Need Theories lecture + activity
• Control, what does control mean? Types and levels of control, Tools for controlling organization Performance, Flow charting, Critical path planning, Organizational Control, Financial Controls,
• Personality, Attitudes, and Work Behaviors, Personality and Values, Perception, Work Attitudes, The Interactionist Perspective, The Role of Fit, Work Behaviors, Developing Your Positive Attitude Skills
• Organization Culture & Social Responsibility.
• Conflict & Decision Making, Types of conflicts, Theories of conflict, Decision Making Process, Theories of decision making, Rational Model, Decision making styles.
• Managing Groups and Teams, Group formation , Key stages in group work, Theories of working in groups, Group Dynamics, Understanding Team Design Characteristics, Organizing Effective Teams, Barriers to Effective Teams, Developing Your Team Skills lecture + activity
• Organizational Behavior, focus and goal of OB, attitudes and job performance, Personality, Perception and Learning.