The basic objective of this course is to provide basic knowledge of major components of a communication system. It will help students understand the basics of signal and representation of signals by trigonometric Fourier series, signal transmission and analysis, Fourier transforms and their properties. It will enhance students’ knowledge about random noise processes. It will give them a detailed knowledge of modulation ad demodulation, analogue modulation techniques, carrier recovery schemes and phase-locked loops (PLLs). It will provide the knowledge of sampling theorem and reconstruction of signals. Also, an introduction to information theory, source coding, channel capacity, and communication channel models shall be discussed.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. Comprehend the basic concepts of Analog and Digital Communication Systems. (Level: C2)
CLO: 2. Analyze the behavior of Amplitude and Phase modulated signals in both time and frequency domain (Level: C4)
CLO: 3. Design the basic structures of AM, MQAM, MPSK and FM receivers. (Level: C5)
- Communications Fundamentals-Six Lectures
- Introduction to communication systems, analog and digital messages, SNR, channel BW, modulation
- Sampling theorem and reconstruction of signals
- _Uniform & non-uniform
- Introduction to signals, size of a signal, signals and vectors, orthonormal basis function, waveform synthesis, waveform analysis and signal representation
- Analysis and transmission of signals, Fourier transform and its properties, energy and power, power spectral density
- Frequency bands, radio systems and broadcast systems
- Double Sideband Suppressed Carrier Amplitude Modulation (DSB-SC-AM)
- Conventional Amplitude Modulation (DSB-AM)
- Single Sideband Amplitude Modulation (SSB-AM)
- Frequency Mixer/converter.
- Demodulation of AM.
- Types of Modulator and Demodulator.
- Double Sideband (DSB)
- Single Sideband (SSB)
- Vestigial Sideband (VSB)
- In phase and Quadrature phase components
- Constellation diagrams
- QAM transmitter and receiver design
- Carrier Acquisition.
- Phase Locked Loop (PLL).
- Composite Video Signal (Television Broadcasting)
- AM receiver design
- Bandwidth of Angle-Modulated Waves
- Generation of FM Waves
- Demodulation of FM
- Interference in Angle-Modulated Systems
- FM Receiver design
- Phase Shift Keying (PSK)
- Binary Phase Shift Keying (BPSK)
- Quadrature Phase Shift Keying (QPSK)
- M-ary PSK
- MPSK Constellation Diagrams
- MPSK Transmitter and Receiver design
- Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) and line coding
- Pulse Amplitude Modulation (PAM)
- Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)
- Pulse Position Modulation (PPM)
- Measures of Information
- Shannon’s Theorem
- Channel Capacity Concept
- Introduction to Source Coding
- Variable Length Coding (Huffman Coding)