• To familiarize about different construction methodologies and equipments to be used in carrying out a construction project.
• To develop ability of students to carry out the construction projects according to drawings and specifications.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. To describe and explain the knowledge about construction engineering, construction equipment, construction projects, methodologies and related processes.
CLO: 2. To discuss and clarify the concepts of construction engineering principles (codes and standards, Ethics, equipment, etc.) for different situations (splice length, etc.).
CLO: 3. To demonstrate knowledge of construction engineering
- Construction projects
- Project goals and objectives
- Project categories
- Building permits
- Codes and construction standards
- Construction Ethics (National and International)
- Types of equipment
- Analysis of capital and operating costs
- Depreciation and its methods of estimation
- Investment costs
- Maintenance and repair costs
- Productivity and cost effectiveness
- An overview of construction aspects for different types of engineering projects, e.g., buildings, retaining structures, hydraulic structures and pavements
- Site selection and orientation of building
- Leveling and Grading consideration
- Layout techniques with special reference to buildings
- Methodologies for excavation in different types of soils and solution of particular problems arising out of specific condition of sub-soil at site e.g. dewatering, shoring and bracing, sheet piling etc
- In-situ and pre-cast concrete construction of buildings, slab on grade, plain cement concrete floors, planar and non-planar roofing systems.
- Masonry, doors, windows, floors, building finishes and water proofing
- Protection of adjacent structures
- Mechanized construction
- Design and use of formwork for various building units/ members
- Methods of concreting vertical and horizontal members, including mechanized placement, ready mix concrete etc
- Construction joints, mass concreting, plinth beams and plinth protection
- Planar and non-planar construction aspects related to services
- Construction of mega structures