Environmental Biotechnology being a rapidly developing and increasingly important area covers both the prevention and cleanup of pollution in domestic and industrial waste streams in waste water treatment plants. The course integrates appropriate aspects of microbiology and biochemical engineering with consideration of practical applications towards process design and scale-up, the advantages and drawbacks of applying biotechnological methods to environmental problems, microbiological thermodynamics, kinetics and ecophysiology of pure and mixed cultures, (geo)biochemical element cycles and biofilm formation.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. To comprehend the basic principles of Environmental Biotechnology [C2-Comprehension].
CLO: 2. Apply the gene manipulation techniques Knowledge to Environmental Biology [C2-Analysis]
CLO: 3. Analyze the different applications of genetically modified organisms related issues (Current Tool Usage)
- Biotechnology/Environmental Biotechnology and its scope
- Biomining and acid mine drainage
- Biotechnology and the oil industry
- Biofilms and biocorrosion
- Municipal composting
- Microorganisms and clean drinking water
- Replacement of chemicals & chemical processes
1. conversion of plant biomass to fermentable sugars.
2. conversion of sugars to biotechnological products eg ethanol, biopolymers
- Microbial Environment Microbiology of Water -Importance of water
Types of Water: Water born diseases; Microbiology of air- Airborne microorganisms; Soil Microbiology- Layers of Soil; Classification; Scope and Importance of Soil Microbiology; Microbes and Biogeochemical cycles; Role of microbes in biogeochemical cycles – Carbon cycle; Sulphur cycle; Nitrogen cycle and Phosphorus cycle.
- Eutrophication, And Its Management Eutrophication; Microbial changes induced by organic and inorganic pollutants; role of phosphorus and nitrogen in eutrophication; process and control of eutrophication.
- Microorganisms In Extreme Environments Acidophilic; alkalophilic; thermophilic; barophilic and osmophilic; microorganisms- mechanisms of adaptation; Halophiles- membrane variation;Applications of thermophiles and extrempohiles.
- Microbial Treatment Of Waste Water Conventional treatment process; Primary- Sedimentation or settling Principles; Biological waste water treatment-Aerobic suspended-growth; Aerobic attached-growth (TF, RBC, PBR);Anaerobic suspended growth; Anaerobic attached growth;
- Microbial Treatment Of Waste Water Advanced tertiary process:-Solids removal; Biological nitrogen removal Biological phosphorus removal; Disinfection
- Bioremediation Introduction of Bioremediation;advantages and applications; Types of bioremediation ;Natural (attenuation) ;Ex-situ and In-situ ;Bioaugmentation and biostimulation ;Solid phase and slurry phase bioremediation; Biological Filtration Processes for Decontamination of Air Stream; Biofiltration;Biotrickling Filtration; Bioscrubbers; Use of microbes for Heavy metal detoxification.
- Biodegradation Aerobic vs. anaerobic Degradation; Microbial basis of Biodegradation; Biodegradation of Xenobiotics; Microbial degradation of pesticides.
- Environmental Toxicology
- Microbial and Industrial Applications