• To introduce the concept of environmental pollution, contamination and its sources particularly in context to water.
• To learn principles of environmental engineering applied to the design and implementation of water supply schemes.
• To introduce knowledge of Environmental laws and regulations required in context to pollution control and impact assessment requirement.
• Introduction to Impact Assessment concept and techniques.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. to examine recommended water treatment techniques
CLO: 2. to interpret environmental legislation and regulation impact assessment.
CLO: 3. to debate on concepts of environmental and water engineering to air, noise and water pollution issues and to defend design steps of proposed water distribution network(s).
CLO: 4. to perform water distribution network(s) design by using MS Excel/EPANET software.
- Environment Engineering
- Water Engineering
- Sanitary Engineering
- Air & Noise Pollution
- Water chemistry and characteristics
- Introduction to sources of pollution
- Effects on water quality
- Control parameters
- Population forecast
- Water uses & consumption
- Types and variations in demand
- Maximum demand & fire demand
- Water impurities & their health significance
- Water quality guidelines/standards (US. & WHO, etc)
- Water quality monitoring
- Sampling techniques and examination of water (physical, chemical and microbiological parameters)
- Water borne diseases
- Treatment of surface & ground water
- Screening, (types of settling), coagulation and flocculation
- Design aspects of slow sand and rapid sand filters and their operations
- Pressure filters
- Membrane Technology (Reverse Osmosis, Ultrafiltration)
- Fluoridation, Iron & Manganese removal
- Water softening methods
- Water disinfection and chemicals
- Emergency treatment methods
- Layout and design of water transmission works and distribution networks
- Service reservoirs
- Fixtures and their installation
- Tapping of water mains
- Urban and Rural Water Supply
- Basic definitions and differences in terms
- International Acts, Treaties, Agendas and Accords
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Pakistan Environmental Protection Act 1997
- National Environmental Quality Standards (NEQS)
- Definitions, activity, consequence, effect-impact, relationship, magnitude, duration and significance.
- Assessment types
- IEE & EIA in context to PEPA applicable to development projects
- EIA process
- EIA Study
- EIA Analysis
- EIA Techniques
- Environmental & Monitoring Plan