• To provide know-how to students to plan, design wastewater collection & treatment systems.
• To introduce the definitions
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. to design waste water distribution network(s).
CLO: 2. to clarify issues regarding building drainage.
CLO: 3. to justify and defend recommendation of solid waste management and sewerage characteristic, treatment and its disposal according to national and international standards/practices.
CLO: 4. to analyze sewers distribution network(s) design by preparing MS Excel/ computer software.
- Standards (NEQS) and International Standards.
- Sewer system (Types, shapes, size and materials of sewers, pipe strengths and tests)
- Design, construction, laying and maintenance of sewage system
- Separate & Combined systems
- Sewer appurtenances
- Population characteristics
- Population forecasting
- Waste water generation
- Rainfall intensity formulas, hydrograph & weather flow, sewage quantities
- Variations and rates of flows
- Velocity gradient & limiting velocities.
- Sampling techniques and examination of wastewater (Physical, chemical and microbiological parameters) Biochemical Oxygen demand (BOD)
- Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD)
- Microbiology of sewage
- Effluent disposal guideline and standards
- Pakistan National Environmental Quality
- Screening grit chamber, skimming tanks & sedimentation tanks
- Activated sludge treatment, tricking filters
- Rotating biological contactors
- Aerobic systems, lagoons and oxidation ponds, etc.
- Receiving body assimilation capacity
- Stream pollution and self-recovery, sludge handling, treatment & disposal
- Effluent re-use
- Soil pipes, anti-syphon pipes and waste water pipes
- Sanitary fixtures and traps
- House connection and testing of house drainage
- Cross connection and back syphon age control
- Types, characteristics, sources and quantities of solid waste
- Collection, disposal (Landfill, incineration, RDF, waste to energy) and recycling