1. To familiarize students about the characteristics of construction materials used in civil engineering projects.
2. To develop the skills for identification and selection of suitable construction materials for civil engineering projects.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO:1 Have knowledge about various materials used in different types of civil engineering structures.
CLO:2 Understand the characteristics of civil engineering materials.
CLO:3 Have skills to compare characteristics and cost of alternative materials.
CLO:4 Have skills to identify/select suitable construction materials for a particular project.
- Materials and their Properties
- Introduction of materials
- Construction materials
- Physical, mechanical and chemical properties
- Electrical and thermal properties
- Introduction and manufacture of ordinary Portland cement
- Constituents of cement
- Types of cement
- Properties and field tests of cement
- Special cements
- Introduction and preparation of lime
- Setting and hardening of lime
- Applications of lime
- Comparison (cost and characteristics) of lime and cement
- Definition and introduction of aggregates
- Mechanical and physical properties of aggregates
- Importance and methods of grading of aggregates
- Introduction, types, applications, characteristics of good building stones
- Artificial stones
- Introduction and methods of preparation of paste
- Properties and application of paste
- Introduction and methods of preparation of mortars
- Properties and application of mortars
- Introduction about concrete
- Components and manufacture of concrete, properties of concrete
- Types of concrete
- Self-Compacting/Self-Consolidating Concrete (SCC)
- Effects of various chemicals on concrete
- Introduction to steel
- Mechanical and physical properties of steel
- Application of steel in civil engineering projects
- Introduction to aluminum
- Mechanical and physical properties of aluminum
- Application of aluminum in civil engineering projects
- History and evolution of ceramics, Manufacture of ceramics
- Properties and applications of ceramics in buildings
- History and evolution of bricks, Properties and applications of bricks
- Dimensions, manufacture and classification of bricks
- History and evolution of blocks, Properties and applications of blocks
- Dimensions, manufacture and classification of blocks
- Constituents of glass and methods of manufacture.
- Types, use and significance of glass in civil engineering
- Advantages and drawbacks of glass
- Structure of tree and general characteristics
- Types, seasoning and preservation of wood, Lamination of wood
- Bitumen, Asphalt, Road Metal
- Asbestos, Plaster of Paris, Abrasives
- Rubber, Cork, Plastics, Paint, Thermometry and acoustics
- Bamboo, Natural, artificial and steel fibers
- Modern Materials (Fiber reinforced polymer etc.)