High School English Grammar & Composition, P.C.Wren & H.Martin
New Expressway For English 1, Colin W. Davis &Andrew J. Watts, New Edition
Effective Business Communications, Hert A. Murphy & Herbert, William Hildebrandt
1. To enhance English language skills of the students.
2. To develop the critical thinking of the students.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO:1 Use correct English in speaking and writing.
CLO:2 Understand and comprehend even complex English language texts.
CLO:3 Gain sound vocabulary.
CLO:4 Have skill to avoid common errors usually made by the learners of English.
CLO:5 Have skills to use English in professional life.
Parts of Speech
- Common Errors
- Rules and Practice on the use of punctuation marks
Phrases and Clauses
Sentence Structure, Kinds of Sentences
- Kinds of Sentences
Active & Passive Voice
- General rules of changing sentences from active to passive voice
- Changing sentences of future, present and past tense into passive voice
- Changing sentences from passive to active voice
Direct & Indirect Narration
- General rules of narration
- Changing sentences from direct to indirect speech when the reporting verb is either in present or future tense
- Changing sentences from direct to indirect speech when the reporting verb is in past tense
Vocabulary Development and Spelling
- A List of Words to be Learnt and Used in Sentences
- Rules and Practice on the use of correct spellings
Tenses in English Grammar
- Types of Tenses
Three Basic Letter Formats
- Various formats used for writing letters in formal capacity
- Block Format
- Modified Block Format
- Simplified Format
Listening Skills (Documentaries)
- Audiovisual material will be used to test and then improve the listening skills of students
Reading & Comprehension
- Ways to comprehend complex texts
- At least 10 passages to be used as comprehension exercises
Spoken English Skills (Activities)
- Students to hold discussions in English language
- Consonant Sounds
- Learning ways to use these sounds to get accurate pronunciation from dictionary
MAPPING OF CLOs TO PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
(Use Correct English)
(Understand Complex English)
(Avoid Common Error)
(Design/Development of Solutions)
(Modern Tool Usage)
(The Engineer and Society)
(Environment and Sustainability)
(Individual and Team work)
MAPPING OF CLOs TO ASSESSMENT MODULES
Midterm Exam (20%)
Final Exam (40-45%)