To able students to demonstrate the application of the First Law, Second Law, conservation of mass and properties of substances to practical engineering systems
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO-1: Evaluate the variation in air flow rate, volumetric efficiency, isothermal efficiency with compressor pressure ratio: – With and without (C5)
CLO-2: Evaluate the thermal efficiency of a mini steam power plant and comparing the result with theoretical values including basic cycle and cycle with feedwater heaters. (C5)
CLO-3: Evaluate the Engine performance parameters at full and partial throttling. (C5)
CLO-4: Setup various experimental apparatus such as the Boyle’s Law, dead weight tester etc. accurately. (P3)
CLO-5: Sketch the graphs using variables involved in experiments using equipment such as Boyle’s law and dead weight tester. (P3)
- Bourdon Gauge and Dead Weight Tester
- Experiment # 01
- Calibrate Bourdon pressure gauge using the dead weight tester.
2. U-Tube and Inclined Manometer
- Experiment # 02
- To determine the air pressure using U-tube and Inclined tube manometer and compare it with analogue pressure gauge
3. Temperature Measurement Bench
- Experiment # 03
- To measure temperature and compare time constant of following temperature measuring devices:
- Bimetallic Expansion Thermometers
- Vapor-Pressure Thermometer
4. Change of State of Gases
- Experiment # 04
- To Verify the Boyle’s and Gay-Lussac’s law by keeping constant interval of pressure, volume or temperature.
5. Marcet Boiler
- Experiment # 05
- To demonstrate the relationship between the pressure and temperature of saturated steam in equilibrium.
6. Mini Steam Power Plant
- Experiment # 06
- To determine the efficiency of boiler and super heater of mini steam power plant.
7. Two Stage Air Compressor
- Experiment # 07
- Study two-stage reciprocating air compressor performance by considering intercooler effect on compression work.
8. Performance of Nozzle
- Experiment # 08
- To determine the nozzle thrust.
- Experiment # 09
- To determination of the critical pressure ratio (convergent-divergent pressure ratio) and demonstration of the choking effect.
- Experiment # 10
- To determine the efficiency of nozzle of two different types.
9. Mechanical Heat Pump
- Experiment # 11
- To find actual and Carnot C.O.P of Heat pump using vapor compression Cycle and find percentage difference between them.
- Experiment # 12
- To determine the heat lost by the refrigerant in the condenser and compare it with the heat gained by the cooling water using a Mechanical Heat Pump.
10. Combustion Laboratory Unit
- Experiment # 13
- To determine the efficiency of the combustion process using a combustion laboratory unit test and compare it with stoichiometric reaction result.
11. Engineering Equation Solver (EES)
- Experiment # 14
- Introduction to basic EES operations and EES interface.
- Experiment # 15
- Implement knowledge of EES to solve the Thermodynamic problems.