- To develop in the learners the ability to listen, read and understand English To train students’ ears to understand English uttered by speakers.
- To help students read extensive readings for information, pleasure and enlightenment. • To help students reinforce grammatical points already taught.
- To teach students to practice important writing techniques.
- To develop in the learners the ability to promote the writing skill until they are able to write a complete paragraph and are ready to do any writing required in the university or in life.
- To enable students to survive in the real world using English.
- To teach new structures and words.
- To enable students to understand what they hear on a variety of topics.
- To enable students speak good English. • To teach the basic tenses of present, past and future.
- To develop in the learners the ability to read and enjoy English written with their own vocabulary without depending on the teacher for explanation and translation.
- To provide the students with a store of structures and words that help them to write simple, guided paragraphs.
- To prepare the students for the Communication Skills course to be offered in the next semester.
COURSE LEARNING OBJECTIVES
CLO: 1. Construct grammatically correct long composition in English language.
CLO: 2. Examine difficult English text.
CLO: 3. Participate effectively in oral and written communication in professional environment.
- BASICS OF GRAMMAR
- Parts of speech and use of articles. Sentence structure, active and passive voice; Practice in unified sentence. Analysis of phrase, clause and sentence structure. Transitive and intransitive verbs, punctuation and spelling.
- Answers to questions on a given text.
- General topics and every-day conversation (topics for discussion to be at the discretion of the teacher keeping in view the level of students).
- Improve listening skills by showing documentaries/films carefully selected by subject teacher.
- TRANSLATION SKILLS
- Urdu to English
- PARAGRAPH WRITING
- Topics to be chosen at the discretion of the teacher
- PRESENTATION SKILLS
- Introduction & practice to improve presentation skills