Pharmaceutics is the discipline of pharmacy that deals with the process of turning an active drug into a medication to be used safely and effectively by patients. It is also called the science of dosage form design. There are many chemicals with pharmacological properties, but need special measures to help them achieve therapeutically relevant amounts at their sites of action. The focus of this laboratory course to develop different dosage forms using basic understanding of physiochemical properties of ingredients and technical aspects of formulations.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. To understand various types of dosage forms along with their methods of preparation, administration routes and uses.
CLO: 2. To perform skillfully laboratory experiments related to dosage forms science by operating different laboratory equipments and execute relevant calculations and results.
CLO: 3. To analyze given data and perform calculations related to dosage forms science.
1. Preparation of turpentine liniment BP.
2. Preparation of phenol gargles BPC.
3. Preparation of calamine lotion BP.
4. Preparation of menthol and eucalyptus inhalation BP.
5. Preparation of petrolatum rose water ointment USP (cold cream).
6. Preparation of vanishing cream.
7. Preparation of hydrophilic ointment USP.
8. Preparation of powders by geometric dilution method.
9. Preparation of sodium chlorideantiseptic mouthwash.
10. Preparation of tannic acid mouthwash.
11. Preparation of talc dusting powder.
12. Preparation of antidandruff shampoo.
13. Preparation of non-effervescent methylcellulose granules BPC.
14. Preparation of aspirin effervescent granules.
15. Preparation of acetaminophen suppositories.
16. Preparation of benzocaine lollipops.