This course is designed to enable the students to learn and apply the basic tools of mathematics. It includes the understanding of basic ideas of algebra, analytical geometry, trigonometry, differential and integral calculus, derivative, and their application in different areas of medical and biosciences.
CLO1: Demonstrate the concept of algebra; sequences; identify techniques; use of per mutation; combination and binomial theorem.
CLO2: Demonstrate the concept of different coordinate systems; line, parabola, circle and ellipses. Definition and derivation of circular functions.
CLO3: Identify functions and apply differential and integral calculus to Interpret the properties of physical systems and processes.
- Solution of Linear and Quadratic Equations. Equations reducible to Quadratic Form. Solution of simultaneous Equations.
- Arithmetic, Geometric and Harmonic Progressions: Arithmetic, Geometric and Harmonic Means.
- Permutations and Combinations: Binomial Theorem: Simple application.
- Measurement of angles in Radian and Degrees. Definitions of circular functions. Derivation of circular function for simple cases.
- Coordinates of point in a plane. Distance between two points in a plane. Locus, Equations of straight line, Equation of Parabola, Circle and Ellips.
- Functions, variations in functions, limits, differential coefficient, differentiation of algebraic, trigonometric, exponential and logarithmic functions, partial derivatives. Maxima and minima values. Points of inflexion.
- Concept of integration Rules of integration. Integration of algebraic, exponential, logarithmic and trigonometric functions by using different techniques, and numerical integration.