The course hospital aims to make the student able to recognize the pharmacist administrative and technical services in the hospital. This comprises hospital administration, patient care activities and pharmacist technical services in hospital including basic and special drug therapy. Participating in the hospital’s medication distribution systems. Performing calculations, compounding preparations, dispensing, manipulation of IV admixtures and preventing incompatibilities during therapy. The course also aims to educate the students about the real role of a pharmacist in Hospital along with the roles that he is required to play in the distribution, storage and purchase of drugs in hospital. The role of Pharmacy and Therapeutic Committee and the advantages of small scale manufacturing in hospital need to be highlighted.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. To describe the fundamentals of hospital pharmacy and role of hospital pharmacist, pharmacy and therapeutic committee, different sections and departments of hospital pharmacy, and hospital administration, patient care activities and pharmacist technical services in hospital.
CLO: 2. To perform calculations, compounding preparations, dispensing and distribution (control substances), manipulation and preventing incompatibilities during therapy in compliance with established standards to meet specific patients’ needs.
CLO: 3. To analyze knowledge of basic concepts of hospital pharmacy to dispensing and compounding practices.
- Role of Pharmacist in Hospital
- Minimum standards for pharmacies in Institutions/Hospitals
- Research in Hospital Pharmacy
- Classification of Hospitals
- Organizational Pattern
- Clinical Departments
- Nursing, Dietetic, Pathology, Blood Bank, Radiology and other supportive services
- Role of Pharmacy in Hospital
- Hospital Finances
- Pharmacy specialist
- Drug information Centre
- Poison Control Centre and Antidote Bank
- Pharmacy Education
- Determining the Need of Professional and other departmental staff
- Professional services rendered
- General Principles and guidelines to develop Formulary
- Preparation of the Formulary
- Role of Pharmacist
- Benefits and problems
- Keeping up to date Formulary
- Methods of Dispensing & SOP’s
- Unit dose dispensing
- Other concepts of dispensing, Satellite Pharmacy etc.