• To understand fundamentals regarding Mechanics of Solids.
• To develop ability of students to carry out analysis of complex state of stress.
• To familiarize students about the failure modes of materials.
• To enhance skills of utilizing materials of appropriate strength for civil engineering applications.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. To physically follow and implement concepts of stresses and strains related theories.
CLO: 2. To demonstrate the assigned task reliably independent of help for mechanics of solids experiments.
CLO: 3. To perform calculations with experimental data using concepts of stresses and strain related theories.
CLO: 4. To discuss and respond actively during lab work of mechanics of solids.
- Determination of yield strength, ultimate strength, rupture strength and percentage elongation of mild steel bar.
- To perform the Izod Impact Test for the given metals.
- Determination of the modulus of elasticity of the material of the given rectangular beam.
- Determination of the modulus of rigidity of the material of the given specimen with circular cross-section.
- Determination of torsion of bars with open and closed cross sections.
- Determination of buckling load under different conditions
- Bending of symmetrical and unsymmetrical cross-sections.
- Elastic deformation of curved beams.
- Determination of stresses under combined bending and torsion