This course is from pharmaceutical chemistry domain provides a comprehensive overview of the key concepts in organic chemistry and heterocyclic compounds. Course will comprise on the basics of heterocyclic compounds, organic reaction and eventually with more emphasis on Organic molecules that are pharmaceutically important. Course will also cover mechanism of reactions involved in the organic synthesis. It aims to explain the organic reactions which play important role in synthesis of lead molecules and candidate drugs.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. Comprehend the fundamental principles and functional groups of organic compounds
CLO: 2. Explain organic reactions and their mechanisms
CLO: 3. Apply the basic concepts of organic reactions to understand the synthesis of drugs.
- HETEROCYCLIC CHEMISTRY:
- Preparation and properties of medicinally important Heterocyclic Compounds such as pyrol, furan, thiophene, pyridine, pyrimidine and pyrazine
- Preparation and properties of heterocyclic compounds in which benzo-ring is fused with five and six membered ring containing one hetero atom; Indole, Quinoline and Isoquinoline
- Arndt-Eistert reaction, Baeyer-Villiger oxidation, Diels Alder reaction; Grignard’s reaction, Metal Hydride reduction and Wolff Kishner reduction, Friedel Craft’s reaction, Perkin reaction, Cannizzaro’s reaction, Mannich reaction
- _Generation, stability and Reaction of the following Intermediates
- Pinacol-Pinacolone, Wagner-Meerwein, Wolff, Hofmann and Beckmann rearrangements.
- Condensation reaction (Aldol condensation, Favorskii rearrangement, Wittig rearrangement).