• To enable students to design miscellaneous and complex structural elements manually and suing software.
• To give basic understanding of earthquake-resistant design and evaluation/assessment and retrofitting of concrete structures and pre-stressed concrete.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. to perform as well as demonstrate experiments for seismic risk assessment (SRA) fundamental frequencies.
CLO: 2. to re-create as well as demonstrate (i) detailing of miscellaneous and complex RC members and (ii) finite element model / detailing of simple seismic-resistant RC structure using computer programs.
CLO: 3. to report on experimental and design data for desired output (i.e. SRA/pre-stressing and structural sketches, respectively).
CLO: 4. to argue and defend his/her (i) adopted experimental procedures for retrofitting evaluation/pre-stressing techniques and (ii) structural detailing of simple earthquake-resistant members.
- Seismic risk assessment of existing confined masonry structures.
- Seismic risk assessment of existing concrete framed-structures.
- Introduction to computer aided earthquake-resistant analysis and design.
- Determination of fundamental transverse, longitudinal, and torsional resonant frequencies of concrete specimens (ASTM – C215).
- Study of tendons.
- Seismic detailing for structural members.
- Detailing of Miscellaneous Structural Elements.
- Detailing of Complex Structural Elements.