• To learn and perform statistical analysis of data related to civil engineering research and projects.
• To learn and perform probability analysis of data related to civil engineering research and projects.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. To explain the use of descriptive techniques to describe the statistical data.
CLO: 2. to solve statistical problems in engineering by sciences using concepts and methods of probability theory.
CLO: 3. to clarify the analysis of civil engineering problem solved by statistical methods.
CLO: 4. to use statistical tools (MS Excel and Mat Lab) for the presentation of the statistical data.
- Presentation of Data and Measures of Central Tendency
- Classification, tabulation, classes, graphical representation, histograms, frequency polygons, frequency curves and their types
- _Arithmetic Mean (A.M), Geometric Mean (GM), Weighted mean, median,quartiles, mode and their relations, Merits and demerits of Averages
- Range, moments, skewness, quartile deviation
- Mean deviation
- Standard deviation
- Variance and its coefficients
- Goodness of fit
- Scatter diagram
- Fitting a straight line
- Linear regression and correlation
- Definitions, sample space, events
- Laws of probability, conditional probability
- Dependent and independent events
- Introduction, distribution function
- Discrete random variable and its probability distribution (Binomial, Poisson)
- Continuous random variable and its probability density function, uniform, and normal distribution functions
- Mathematical expectation of a random variable
- Microsoft Excel