Research group head Profile
Control Engineer with 22+ years of dynamic modeling, state/parameter estimation, controller design, controller/observer implementation/testing experience in automotive and aerospace industries. Worked on control of real life engineering systems and have produced four prototypes so far. Currently, pioneering head of Controls and Signal Processing Research Group having more than 14 PhD students (19 PhDs produced) with strong research interests in automotive parameter estimation, automotive engine control and diagnostics, air vehicle guidance and control, radar system design, fuel cell control and diagnostics and nonlinear sliding mode controller/observer theory. Worked on idle speed control of Ford Mondeo engine during PhD. Devised novel algorithms for Perkins diesel engines during postdoctoral research. Also won four prestigious national research awards. Author and Co-author of 130 international refereed publications including 44 Impact Factor journal publications with collective I.F of 70.
Introduction of the group
Controls and Signal Processing Research Group is a Research Group at Department of Electrical Engineering at Capital University of Science & Technology. Around twenty PhD students are working on the state of the art projects on Radar Systems, Automotive Control, Robotics, Fuel Cell Control and Aircraft Control. The main aim of the group is the development of high tech human resource in the area of Electrical Engineering for the third world. The developed HR will act as nuclei agents for the growth in hi-tech engineering areas. Controls and Signal Processing Research Group is a trend-setting research group in Pakistan’s engineering research horizon. The group started in 2001 in CASE Islamabad. The group includes five faculty members. One postdoctoral researcher is also working with the group. There are thirty full time/part time researchers in the group. There are twenty two PhD students and four Masters Students. In addition to the work on Higher Order Sliding Mode and its applications the PhD students are working on projects pertaining to automotive control and fault diagnostics, Robotics, Radars and Aircraft Control and Guidance.
|1||Prof. Aamer Iqbal Bhattifirstname.lastname@example.org||Head/Supervisor|
|2||Dr. Fazal ur Rehmanemail@example.com||Supervisor|
|3||Dr. Raza Samarfirstname.lastname@example.org||Supervisor|
- The group is actively pursuing HOSM based design algorithms. Novel HOSM based observers have been designed and implemented for automotive and research reactors. One PhD student is working on it.
- An MSc thesis was completed on the topic of robust controller design for a benchmark aircraft. Presently two undergraduate groups are working on making an RPV autonomous. One PhD student is working on UAV guidance algorithms. An M.S student has devised successful decoupling controllers for a twin rotor platform resulting in three conference publications so far.
- The main emphasis is on making early warning systems based on OBDII measurements. The work has been published in IEEE Trans on Industrial Electronics. The group purchased an automotive engine. The engine is being used to formulate engine speed control strategies. Work is being done actively on the development of novel misfire detection strategies. Five PhD students are working in this area.
- Two PhD students and an MSc student are working on fuel cell system control and fault diagnostics to make cheaper fuel cells for domestic energy consumption. A portable fuel cell system has been imported. Experiments are being carried out for data acquisition and then system identification. Using sliding mode technique, the observers have been designed for parameter estimation which resulted in two conference publications so far.
- The group has actively taken part in the system level design of Ground Surveillance Radar developed at NUST
- The group has developed radar signal processors for: Siemens MPDR45E Radar & Ground Surveillance Radar
R & D Projects
|S. No||Title||Year||Cost||Funding Agency||Status|
|1||Information System for early fault warning in automotives||2009-2011||PKR 14.34 Million||ICT R&D Fund||Completed|
|2||Modeling and Control of UCG||2012-2015||PKR 14.3 Million||ICT R&D Fund||Completed|
|3||Modeling and Simulation of LPI Radar system level design and optimization||2009-2012||PKR 1 Million||RWR||Completed|
|4||Development of Phased Array Radar||2009-to date||PKR 12.6 Million||Public Sector Organization||In progress|
|5||Control of UCG||2012-2013||PKR 2.8 Million||Thar Energy Board||Completed|
|6||Autonomous Landing/Takeoff of UAV||2017 – till date||PKR 2.86 Million||Public Sector Organization||In progress|
|7||Underwater vehicle dynamic modeling and control||2016-2017||PKR 0.1 Million||Public Sector Organization||Completed|