Placement Office Arranged Multiple Sessions for Final Year Students
Placement office organized a series of training sessions with students of last semester (Fall 2020) in the Departments of Computer Science, Management & Social Sciences and Bioinformatics & Biosciences. Students of final semester of each department attended lectures on three different topics. There were altogether eighteen such lectures. Some of the lectures were conducted online as per the new arrangement of classes (Covid-19).
The trainings were held in regular classes of different subjects to make sure the participation of all the students. The main objective of these trainings was to prepare students for their professional careers and to equip them with skills required to succeed in corporate world. Following topics were covered in these trainings and each lecture was of 1 hour and 20 minutes duration.
- Resume writing
- Job Hunting
- Interview Skills
Training on Resume Writing covered the following areas in detail:
- Developing a Resume
- What is a resume and why you need it?
- Resume formats – choosing the right one
- Resume tips and strategies
- Including the Right Information
- Contact information
- Employment history
- Education information
- Additional information and references
- Using Your Resume Online
- Preparing your resume for the internet
Job Hunting is the next stage to resume write up. Interactive discussions took place during the training on job hunt. Techniques of an effective job hunt and procedures were discussed in detail. Following are the key points conversed.
- Common Myths
- There are no jobs
- I am not good at things
- No one hires fresh
- Connections are the key
- Creative Approach
- Homework -inventory upon yourself
- What kinds of fields you want?
- Talk to people who have such jobs
- Choose the organizations
- Portals and job boards, newspaper
- Ask around, networking and show up
- Cut no corners, take no shortcuts
Our third topic in the series of this training was Interview Skills. The core of an interview and different types of interviews were discussed in detail. The training was focused on interview etiquettes and significant details of pre, and post interviews.
- The outline of this training encompassed the following:
- What is an interview
- Types of interviews
- What to prepare before an interview?
- What to do during an interview?
- Follow up after an interview